[Talk-ca] Ontario OSM Meetups

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Thu May 6 14:23:53 BST 2010

Cool, great that there is just 1 co-admin.
With more co-admins, others can set up more meetups.

But the purpose of meetup.com is to meet new people, where
eventbrite.com's purpose is to sell tickets (but doesnt require
payment for free events) nor an extra login.

Tinychat.com offers free video/voice chat.
Skype offers screensharing.

IRC offers realtime chat, and topic specific groups #osm-ca

The forums offer detailed info for those who use it.
And the wiki tries to organize it.

Everyone has their own favorite medium to use. Many just prefer to map
on their own, and not attend meetups of any kind.

Others want to help, but dont like Mailing lists. And think they are dumb.

So its great you setup meetup.com, but im not really sure why spend
the $ for it, when other mediums are free & could involve more people?

OSGeo already has a professional group setup ... But OSM knowledge is lacking.

Oh well, thats the fun of OSM. A anarchy, yet it keeps on getting better.

Why do you not join the #OSM-ca irc? (it will help as you are the
National PR person for OSM Canada) .... Once you are on it, everyone
else from Canada that is on the #osm IRC would join in. (seriously)

.... and i just do many things at once and keep on stirring the pot
keeping things moving :-) ...if others are around to answer, im sure
it would help more, as i have my own way of explaining things . ~
polar opposite than yours. Yet also correct.

Hopefully you can help by logging on to #osm-ca IRC while hosting the
meetups (hackfest).

Unless your meetups dont include laptop & nerd fest, in whichcase,
forget the above, because im out in left field.

Happy mapping,

--
Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blogs: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/