[Talk-ca] Canvec.osm / Addressing interpolation?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue May 11 20:37:39 BST 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 3:27 PM, john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I said:
>> Please be aware that the current practice in OSM is
>>
>> to use only
>>
>> addr:housenumber
>> addr:street
>>
>> for individual addresses and
>>
>> addr:interpolation
>> addr:postcode
>>
>> for ranges.
>>
>> addr:city/state/country are deprecated.  Use of the postGIS tools
>> instead are recommended.

> Is this documented anywhere?
>
> Thanks John

Probably not explicitly.  Would you do that for us?

I'm basing my statement on frequent discussions on #osm-dev and the
dev mailing list.  One implied source for this is in the default.style
for osm2pgsql, which only uses

node,way   addr:flats   text         polygon
node,way   addr:housenumber    text  linear
node,way   addr:interpolation  text  linear

of the addr:* keys when loading the postigs database for a tile server.

I'm not sure why addr:postcode is dropped.  Could be because of the
sparse use of postcodes in OSM.

addr:flats would probably be good to add for "unit" numbers, etc.

Best regards,
Richard