[Talk-ca] Highway=trunk

Olivier Hill olivier.hill at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 12:05:31 GMT 2010

Bonjour Daniel,

> I understand that initially the roads in Québec were tagged using this classification...
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canada:Quebec
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/EN:Canada:Quebec

Funny the page says: "Trunk: ??? (should use National Highway Service roads);"

> The concept of "trunk" is not really used in Québec, at least by French people.  So, local mapper won't use it.

Absolutely. I just found out what NHS means actually.

> The difference between trunk/motorway is based on carriageways (single/dual).

So the wiki should say: motorway if dual, trunk if NHS and single
carriageway? In that case, the 50 between Gatineau and Lachute would
in part be classified as motorway, parts as trunk? [1]

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.68321&lon=-74.05471&zoom=15&layers=M

Best regards,
Olivier
--