[Talk-ca] Highway=trunk

Bégin, Daniel Daniel.Begin at RNCan-NRCan.gc.ca
Thu Nov 4 13:11:47 GMT 2010

Olivier wrote: "In that case, the 50 between Gatineau and Lachute would in part be classified as motorway, parts as trunk?"

Hé, I actually map that segment! (in my other life). I initially tagged this segment as "motorway" because the "trunk" designation is not used in Québec.  It is now tagged  "trunk", as expected looking at the wiki - and I don't complaint here!-) because it seems right to me.

This example matches the proposed wiki definition and the road classification in Canvec product.  However, I can't confirm -for the moment- that the NHS (http://www.comt.ca/reports/NHS-Map-08.pdf) has been used in GeoBase/Canvec Roads classification.

Regards,

Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: Olivier Hill [mailto:olivier.hill at gmail.com]
Sent: November 4, 2010 08:06
To: Bégin, Daniel
Cc: talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] Highway=trunk

Bonjour Daniel,

> I understand that initially the roads in Québec were tagged using this classification...
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canada:Quebec
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/EN:Canada:Quebec

Funny the page says: "Trunk: ??? (should use National Highway Service roads);"

> The concept of "trunk" is not really used in Québec, at least by French people.  So, local mapper won't use it.

Absolutely. I just found out what NHS means actually.

> The difference between trunk/motorway is based on carriageways (single/dual).

So the wiki should say: motorway if dual, trunk if NHS and single carriageway? In that case, the 50 between Gatineau and Lachute would in part be classified as motorway, parts as trunk? [1]

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.68321&lon=-74.05471&zoom=15&layers=M

Best regards,
Olivier
--