[Talk-ca] Bridge closed for repairs

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Apr 12 14:20:18 BST 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Connors, Bernie (SNB)
<Bernie.Connors at snb.ca> wrote:
> What is the suggested method for tagging a bridge that will be closed for
> several months for repairs?
>

> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.9411549568176&lon=-66.623797416687&zoom=16
>
> http://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/news/news_release.2011.02.0199.html
>

> I was thinking it would be simple to add a “barrier=block” each end of the
> bridge
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:barrier%3Dblock
>

> And also “note=*” with a description of the closure and the expected date
> for re-opening.

Those are both sensible.  Other options:

fixme shows up on several OSM quality tools
fixme=expected to reopen Sept 5, 2011

highway=construction
construction=trunk
highway=construction should remove the bridge from routers, etc. that
don't understand barrier=block.

But just as the gnb announcement is imperfect, and some folks will be
surprised by the bridge closure, we can't always warn everybody about
changes in our dataset.