[Talk-ca] Tagging sharrows (On-road markings for bicycle-automobile shared lane)

Hillsman, Edward hillsman at cutr.usf.edu
Fri Aug 19 12:56:59 BST 2011

Not Canadian, but we have the same question here in Florida. I have been tagging stretches of road that have sharrows as

highway=*
cycleway=sharrows

We have one short stretch approaching a busy street where the sharrows are just for the southbound cyclist, and I have tagged that as

cycleway:right=sharrows

I've been doing things this way because it is consistent with cycleway=lane (we are indicating cycling infrastructure defined by paint on pavement). Unfortunately, it doesn't show up on OpenCycleMap, but it will show up when we download the data for producing our area's next paper bicycle map. And, if there is a British English equivalent for "sharrows", it will be easy to search and replace the tag values.

Edward L. Hillsman, Ph.D.
Senior Research Associate
Center for Urban Transportation Research
University of South Florida
4202 Fowler Ave., CUT100
Tampa, FL  33620-5375
813-974-2977 (tel)