[Talk-ca] Merging ways

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 06:15:14 BST 2011

Okay, how do I accomplish this task?

I drew the outline of Wolf Lake by hand quite a while ago. I also
imported the water features from CanVec as well. Now there are three
ways defining the lake. One is the way that I drew by hand. The second
is one imported from Canvec which is a simple outline with the tag
natural:water. The other half of the lake (split across a CanVec tile
boundary) is a multipolygon outer relation because there's an island
in the lake. I have tried removing the ways that define the split in
the tile, and join the two remaining halves. I can't do that because
there's a tag conflict. I removed the tags from the natural:water
side, and tried to join the remaining untagged way to the outer
relation, but it does not want to stay joined together. One would
think that you should be able to simply join the untagged way to the
way defining the outer relation, completing the circular way.

This should be the simple part, I would assume. The situation where
each half of the lake is an outer relation with inner relations would
make the process more complex as you would somehow have to make the
inner relations on one of the outer relations move over to become
inner relations to the other outer relation, while making only one of
the outer relations define the whole lake.

Having the CanVec data available is excellent, but stitching areas
back together where they have been artificially split at a tile
boundary is a bit of a bear for me. Anyone of the CanVec import
experts out there have a bit of a tutorial lesson for me?

Wolf Lake (Hand drawn) http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/78288197
Wolf Lake (Canvec natural:water)
Wolf Lake (Canvec outer relation)

James