[Talk-ca] Merging ways

Adam Dunn dunnadam at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 06:41:59 BST 2011

My involvement with OSM predates Potlatch by a couple months, so I
learned to edit OSM with JOSM, and that's what feels most natural to
me. I get frustrated trying to use Potlatch. The complete opposite of
you :)

Your data looks good, except for one thing: you tagged the way with
the name, whereas the proper thing is to tag the relation with the
name. The way should have no tags in this case (there may be other
cases where the way would have tags even though is a member of a
relation, but not in this case).

For >1K, I split at approx the half-way mark. Doesn't need to be
exactly half. Linear ways (highways, etc) just get split and left as
two ways, whereas polygons (lakes, forests) get split and then made
into a multipolygon relation. I think that having boundaries will be
inevitable, especially when mapping out forests of Canada (a forest
relation could extend hundreds of kilometers!). I'm currently
experimenting with making Great Slave Lake a giant multipolygon, which
may end up being the largest multipoly in OSM, since GSL is the 9th
largest lake in the world, and I expect the 8 larger are tagged with
coastline. I'm doing this to see how well the renderers deal with this
case. I wouldn't suggest making multipolys so large, and they should
be divided at smaller areas. Where to split is up to you, and how
large to make a multipoly is up to you, just as long as an individual
way does not exceed 2000 nodes.

Just to be sure you're aware:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:multipolygon

Happy mapping!