[Talk-ca] Merging ways

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 15:31:36 BST 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 11:41 PM, Adam Dunn <dunnadam at gmail.com> wrote:

> Your data looks good, except for one thing: you tagged the way with
> the name, whereas the proper thing is to tag the relation with the
> name. The way should have no tags in this case (there may be other
> cases where the way would have tags even though is a member of a
> relation, but not in this case).

Ah, yes... Changed that with Potlatch. I'm going to have to figure out
how to do that in JOSM.

How do you zoom out when selecting an area with the slippy map? All I
can do is zoom in. I have to shut down the program to be able to
select another area if it's larger than what I am looking at. That's
really annoying. I've tried every combination of modifier keys I can
think of.

> Where to split is up to you, and how
> large to make a multipoly is up to you, just as long as an individual
> way does not exceed 2000 nodes.
>
> Just to be sure you're aware:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:multipolygon

I had looked at multipolygons before, and had a rudimentary
understanding... I missed the fact that you could define the outlines
of the polygon with multiple segments. Thanks for the nudge.

I had started importing CanVec tiles around Bonnyville, but never
merged the edges as I didn't know how. I also ran into a problem with
Merkaartor not being able to handle more than 5000 nodes at a time.
Perhaps I can get things working with JOSM.

--
James
VE6SRV