[Talk-ca] Fixed version of JOSM to ease Canvec merges

Tyler Gunn tyler at egunn.com
Tue Dec 13 21:16:15 GMT 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Harald Kliems
<harald.kliems at mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> Dear Tyler:
> Could you maybe elaborate what that fix from previous versions did exactly? Sounds like it might be a useful function for other, non-Canvec related tasks, too.
> Thanks,
>  Harald.

Sure, the chance is described here:
http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/6072

The authors of JOSM did not include it in the past because:
"The validator is not a tool for fixing badly planned or badly
executed imports. You should fix your import script to not create the
overlapping nodes in the first place.

It is true that this used to work but we have reduced the number of
situations in which the validator will automatically de-duplicate
nodes for you because there were complaints about too many people just
de-duplicating everything they found, thereby merging things that
should not have been merged. For example if an import has created two
crossing ways and each has a node at the intersection point then there
is no way to know whether this is really an intersection or maybe a
bridge/tunnel situation. Blindly merging these nodes via the validator
makes the warning go away but at the cost of potentially introducing
problems. Any such intersection must be reviewed manually."

The case where I saw this program is roads between canvec tiles; JOSM
used to detect the nodes on the boundary of the tiles, and you could
hit "Fix" in the validator to merge the nodes together.  Now, however,
the duplicates are not detected, and you need to manually merge them.
I implemented the same patch mentioned in this bug, in order to allow
"auto-fixing".

Tyler