[Talk-ca] Automated imports of Canvec?

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 05:10:24 GMT 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Steve Singer <ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> If someone were to import a 100% pure canvec data an empty openstreetmap
> instance and render this as a background WMS layer would this then make
> editing/importing canvec data in Potlach easier?  I think tracing a more
> verbose version of canvec might be less error prone for many people than
> importing direct from the .OSM files.

That would be nice to have. One of the difficulties with the Canvec
import is the fact that the Canvec data gave way in deference to
existing OSM data. This means that there are lots of places where we
need to connect the two together (not so hard), or where poorly
aligned ways were kept and better quality Canvec data was left out.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.786&lon=-112.0373&zoom=14&layers=M

Being able to see the Canvec data that was left out would be nice.
Being able to grab the segments that were left out and import them to
replace the poorly aligned ways copied from low resolution images
would be even better.

--
James
VE6SRV