[Talk-ca] Automated imports of Canvec?

Steve Singer ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 17 00:48:24 GMT 2011

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011, James Ewen wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Steve Singer <ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> If someone were to import a 100% pure canvec data an empty openstreetmap
>> instance and render this as a background WMS layer would this then make
>> editing/importing canvec data in Potlach easier?  I think tracing a more
>> verbose version of canvec might be less error prone for many people than
>> importing direct from the .OSM files.
>
> That would be nice to have. One of the difficulties with the Canvec
> import is the fact that the Canvec data gave way in deference to
> existing OSM data. This means that there are lots of places where we
> need to connect the two together (not so hard), or where poorly
> aligned ways were kept and better quality Canvec data was left out.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.786&lon=-112.0373&zoom=14&layers=M

With respect to the automated GeoBase import I did a few years back (of
which that is a sample of)  I can provide .osm files with all the excluded
data to anyone that asks. At one point I had them up on a free filesharing
site but I think that went away. I don't think Potlach can read these files
though. If someone wants to setup a server that can server them up as WMS
I'd be happy to provide the files as well.

I doubt people doing manual/semi manual canvec imports people any listings
of what wasn't imported (I know I don't keep track of that).