[Talk-ca] CanVec Import

Olivier Hill olivier.hill at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 13:27:16 GMT 2011

Andrew,

> Sorry about this.
>
> I accidentally imported duplicate features in 031G09.1.3 (Lachute)
> that should be removed now unless I missed a few.

The blind imports you have been doing are not limited to 031G09. You
have been bulk uploading CanVec tiles on OSM in ALL areas you've been
dealing with, as explained in details in my private messages to you.

You bulk import all features except roads. You are thus duplicating
every water feature already there, golfs, place names, etc. Some
examples:

Lac Emile: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.661478&lon=-74.323498&zoom=18&layers=M
Saint-Colomban:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.73817&lon=-74.13737&zoom=15&layers=M

I am currently looking at Lachute, which you claim you have fixed. I
can select multiple water bodies that you have blindly imported on top
of current features. We have exchanged a lot of private messages and I
have asked you to revert your changes. You seem not to understand the
problems you have created, do not want to take responsibility for it
and not ready to properly fix the data (which would have been to
revert, learn, and then WORK on a tile before uploading, selecting all
features individually).

Importing one CanVec tile on OSM per 15 minutes (according to your
history) does not make sense, unless you are bulk importing or are a
super-hero (would be nice though).

> Lachute seemed to have been mostly mapped by a user called JeanRob98
> in 2009 (badly - there were many roads missing the street type such as
> "Rue" etc., there were many ways crossing with no nodes, many
> unconnected ways, etc.) and I was trying to clean it up. Aside from
> importing CanVec OlivierHill seems to have made only a few minor
> contributions in this area.

Most contributions have been made with GPS in that area. Trying to fix
the data already present and not "replacing" it would have been the
honorable thing to do, respecting other's work. But that takes time.

I will also ignore the rest of the statement, placing more importance
on quantity than quality.

> To all contributors: PLEASE update the CanVec Import Chart on Google
> Docs if you are active in a certain area and you don't want other
> contributors doing imports in a certain area. (I think that
> acrosscanadatrails can give you write access to it if you ask).

A Google Import Chart does not grant you the privilege to mess up OSM
data. It merely serves as a friendly reminder that you will be working
hard for some time on a tile, then uploading it. It protects you from
someone else doing your work in parallel and then having a collision
when you are ready to upload.

Please fix and or revert. I would prefer not actually have to step in and do it.

Olivier
--
http://www.olivierhill.ca/