[Talk-ca] Proposed import: Surrey Address Data

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Tue Jan 4 08:51:43 GMT 2011

I'm proposing to import the surrey address data located at
http://www.surrey.ca/city-services/658.aspx

I've written a translation script for the data, and it, along with the data
untranslated and translated are located at
http://maps.paulnorman.ca/surrey/addresses/

Legal:

The data is PDDL, which is a well-known license and compatible.

Data quality:

The data is essentially an export from the city's internal GIS server and
should be very accurate. I was unable to find any errors with spot checks.

With the exception of strip malls and townhouse complexes, the positions
seem very accurate. Strip malls are in order, but may not exactly match
store locations. Townhouses have similar issues.

Size:
~100k nodes. This will need to be done in multiple parts on a separate
account.

Existing data:
A check with JOSM found no nodes with addr:* in Surrey

Shortfalls
- No postal codes
- Although the data is there for associated street relations, I'm not
proposing creating them

Sample node

addr:city=Surrey
addr:country=CA
addr:housenumber=11508
addr:state=British Columbia
addr:street=97A Avenue
source=City of Surrey 2010 GIS Data
source:url=http://www.surrey.ca/city-services/658.aspx
surrey:date=19850924=
surrey:globalid=E949685B-38B3-44D2-A5DC-C0750AE0B4C4