[Talk-ca] Manitoba Highway Naming -- Need some French translation advice

Tyler Gunn tyler at egunn.com
Wed Jan 5 03:28:44 GMT 2011

In my most recent Canvec Imports of MB I'm trying to nail down the french names for Provincial Roads and Provincial Trunk Highways in Manitoba.  So far the general scheme I'm using for naming is as follows:

Provincial Trunk Highway:
Any highway where ref=[0-9]{1-2} (ie one or two digit route number)
highway = primary
name = Provincial Trunk Highway XY
name:en = Provincial Trunk Highway XY
name:fr = Route provinciale à grande circulation XY

Provincial Road:
Any highway where ref=[0-9]{3,3} (ie a 3 digit route number)
highway = secondary
name = Provincial Road XYZ
name:en = Provincial Road XYX
name:fr = Route provinciale secondaire XYZ

The french names for the provincial road and provincial trunk highway are based on what I've seen in various government publications such as the Highway and Transportation Act (http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/ccsm/h050e.php).
I'm basing the convention of road classification based on what I've observed having lived here forever, and also based on the MB government highway classification standards (http://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/mcd/mcpd/mhcs.html).

The main thing I'd like to ask if if my "french equivalents" make sense.  Ie is Provincial Road 254 = Route provinciale secondaire 254?  What about roads where there are two routes?  Ie.  Provincial Trunk Highway 3 & 83; is this Route provinciale à grande circulation 3 & 83?

Thanks!
Tyler