[Talk-ca] Using ImportImagePlugin in JOSM

Peter Freeman petersfreeman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 18:16:04 GMT 2011

I am unable to get the InstallImagePlugin to work in JOSM

GOAL
====

I have an image of a map that I scanned and I want to load it into JOSM
as an underlay so I can trace the ways on the map in JOSM.

PREPARATION
============

The map file is called map.jpg and I have created a world file called
map.wld

TRIALS
======

I don't fully understand the values I need for the world file, however
it represents an area approximately 8 kilometres (West to East) by 6
kilometres (North to South) and the top left hand edge of the map is
approximately at a latitude of  1.5 (North) and a longitude of 103.5
(East) so I looked at this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_file and my file contains these
values as a starting point:

100.0
0.0
0.0
-100.0
103.5
1.5

When I load the image, the plugin notices that I don't have a projection
file (.prj) so it asks me if I want the default coordinate system.  I
choose Yes.  Nothing appears and the scale (top left corner of JOSM goes
to 20037.5 and I cannot zoom in or out.  I have varied the values in the
world file considerably but with the same result.

QUESTIONS

Has anyone used this plugin?
Can you give me reasonably correct values for my world file?
Do I need to create a projection file
What do I need to do to make this work?

Thank you,

Peter