[Talk-ca] Here we go again...

Dan Charrois dan at syz.com
Mon Mar 7 09:28:45 GMT 2011

On 2011-Mar-06, at 9:15 AM, Samuel Longiaru wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Your procedure sounds pretty similar to mine, and working around Kamloops likely is equivalent in terms of the kinds of features we see.

It's nice to see that the method I've been following isn't totally out in left field :-)

> You probably do this as well, but before running the validator, I step around the edge of the import and connect streams, powerlines, and anything else that I think needs connecting.  The auto-fix on duplicate nodes just seems to merge the nodes but doesn't combine the ways.  As you, I very rarely have found the need to import a road as previous GeoBase or other imports have already provided the same information.

Earlier on in my editing, I hadn't thought of connecting features around the edge of an import, though I've been trying to do it lately.  One of these days, I'm going to have to go back to areas I already worked on, to do exactly that.

> I simplify some features as well (streams and some lake shorelines mostly) but I try to remember to simplify before merging the selection onto the OSM layer.  Simplifying later often gives the warning that you are deleting nodes outside the uploaded data area.  If I get a conflict, this is where it happens.

I hadn't been paying much attention to where I did the simplification - thanks for the tip!  I'll be sure to do it before merging into my working OSM layer, and see if that helps.

> You do, however, seem to have much better luck than I have had on failed imports.  On 4 or 5 different occasions, an upload has hung (sometimes for hours) and a cancel has resulted in nodes only (no way information) being uploaded to the server.  This behavior is quite consistent.  The result is 6-8,000 isolated nodes blasted across the import block.  I've then had to download the area from OSM and manually remove each node.  Rather frustrating.  I don't know the ins and outs of the OSM backend, but could you be picking up errors at that point?  JOSM never seems to "sort it out" for me.   :(

I guess I have been luckier than you, in a way.  I've only noticed one import so far that's failed spectacularly, which got me to figuring out how to use the reverter plugin.  I think it saved my bacon in that situation - the idea of manually going to find and delete thousands of isolated nodes is a process I really wanted to avoid at all costs.

But James Ewen has noticed some missing roads in an area I was working on southeast of Edmonton that I'm starting to think may have been the result of a flaky upload (at least one of those missing roads is one I remember working on specifically).  What makes me worried is that I didn't even realize there was a problem in this area until he noticed those roads (I had assumed that JOSM had just "fixed things" when I retried afterwards) - in some ways, thousands of isolated nodes would have been preferable, since at least I'd have noticed there was a problem.

I think I'll be reserving any "OSM editing days" for those when my Internet connection is as stable as possible.

Dan
--
Syzygy Research & Technology
Box 83, Legal, AB  T0G 1L0 Canada