[Talk-ca] Fwd: [OSM-talk] Argh, Canvec imports

Samuel Dyck samueldyck at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 22:42:02 GMT 2011

Hi

I /think/ I'm responsible for the problems in Hudson Bay. The issue was
I forgot to delete the intermittent coastline from Canvec and only
discovered my error once the coastline was updated. I've fixed the
problem, but I have no idea if I am responsible for that big blob of
grey in the southern half (I didn't do any editing there, I have to wait
until the next update to find out). I've seen coastline errors many
times before, I remember there was a large one in Southern Ontario for a
while, and Newfoundland had several until recently.

Here is the problem:
-Editors don't notice their mistakes until the coastline is updated, so
they stick around in the data for a while
-When the mistakes are fixed it takes a few weeks for the corrections to
show up on mapnik
-Coastlines are handled differently than the natural=water tag, which
confuses people
-Mapnik doesn't render natural=water at high levels
-Mapnik ignores the water=intermittent tag

I'm not suggesting we use natural=water (that would be a terrible idea),
there just needs to be a way for editors to check the rendering of their
coastlines.

Sam Dyck