[Talk-ca] Is "Mississauga Data" licence compatible with OSM?

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 20:43:11 GMT 2012

Remember that you are giving OSM authority to re-license the data in OSM in
the future and that OSM is explictly seeking to protect and copyright the
data in the database with the new .ODBL license.  I don't think you have
the authority to bind OSM to the terms of use especially the word revocable
but that's just my personal opinion.

Authority
You agree to these Terms of Use by either: (1) clicking to accept the
Terms of Use; or (2) downloading or

using any of the Datasets. You represent that you have full capacity
and authority to accept these Terms

of Use. If you are accepting on behalf of your employer or another
entity, you represent that you have

full authority to bind your employer or such other entity to the Terms of Use.

Your Open Licence to the Datasets
The City of Toronto (the City) now grants you a world‐wide,
royalty‐free, non‐exclusive, revocable

licence to use, modify, and distribute the Datasets in all current and
future media and formats for any

lawful purpose. You now acknowledge that this licence does not give
you a copyright or other

proprietary interest in the Datasets. If you distribute or provide
access to these Datasets to any other

person, whether in original or modified form, you agree to include a
copy of, or this Uniform Resource

Locator (URL) for, these Terms of Use and to ensure any such person
agrees to, and is bound by, them

but without introducing any further restrictions of any kind.

Cheerio John