[Talk-ca] Is "Mississauga Data" licence compatible with OSM?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Jan 6 22:41:29 GMT 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Greg Smith <greg.smith1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was in the process of adding some data, and had a discussion with another
> mapper about whether the license provided by Mississauga Data
> (http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/residents/mississaugadata) is compatible
> with the OSM licence.

Sorry, Greg, but no.  The Mississauga license is a badly copy/pasted
version of the Toronto derivative of the fatally flawed Vancouver
license.  None of them are even compatible with each other.  :-/

The various municipalities might have their hearts in the right place
by publishing "open data" but they have a parochial perspective that
limits their vision to "is this good within municipality boundaries"
and "how do we make it so our city is less likely to get sued?"  So
they keep trying to customize their licenses.  That customization
creates a nightmare for anybody seeking to combine data sets with
those differing, customized licenses.

Best regards,
Richard