[Talk-ca] Cleanup

Andrew Allison andrew.allison at teksavvy.com
Thu Jan 26 18:48:56 GMT 2012

On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 13:23 -0500, Richard Weait wrote:
> Most of the Canadian data that needs cleaning is very low impact.
>
> Two of the high-volume decline accounts are primarily imports that
> have not been subsequently edited.  That means the effected data can
> easily be re-imported for a net-zero change.
>
> I recommend that we remove that data now, without delay.  That will
> simplify current cleanup activities by:
> - removing trivial doomed data
> - making interesting data cleaning opportunities easier to see
>
> I'd like to request that the data working group purge that data for
> us.  What do you think about requesting the removal of objects that
> are:
>
> - created by the known-bad accounts
> - version 1 (that is, they have not been modified by another mapper)
> - not ways tagged natural=coastline
>
> That will reduce the cleanup in Canada by about an order of magnitude
> with zero negative effect.
>
> Thoughts?  Request this of DWG, or no?

I'm currently removing / replacing the data in the London area.

How many mappers are there out there, that are recreating the currently
tainted map data?

Right now I'm using the OSM inspector to flag what I have to replace.
If / Once the data is purged I would not know what needs to be done.

As a side note, I was using the JOSM plugin to flag the tainted data.
But using the OSM inspector seems to flag a lot more data. Personally I
would like to know, which tool is a better indicator of what is going to
be removed.

So, to sum it up, I would like to keep the tainted data around for a
while just so I know what needs to be done.

Given that I should be finished cleaning up the London area probably
next week I don't think I would be affected by a earlier purge.

	Andrew
	aka Purple Mustang