[Talk-ca] Using STM's data in OSM - was: Help needed to double-check a recent changeset [...]

Fabian Rodriguez MagicFab at member.fsf.org
Tue Jul 10 12:49:50 BST 2012

On 07/09/2012 09:01 PM, john whelan wrote:
> In Ottawa they now announce bus stops and as part of that process
> remapped all the bus stops using accurate GPS devices and dropped the
> result in the GTFS file.
>
> GTFS has its own standard tags (names) for bus stops and bus stop
> identifiers, including reference numbers.  To make life easier for
> other software retaining the GTFS tag standard names might make sense.
[...]

I bang my head now for not checking this before... the data for all bus
+ metro stops & schedules in Montreal is now available in General
Transit Feed Specification (GTFS) format:
http://www.stm.info/English/en-bref/a-developpeurs-guide.htm

Although the license doesn't seem compatible with OSM's:
http://www.stm.info/English/en-bref/a-developpeurs-licence.htm

I'd like to have some feedback from Montreal mappers, do you think we
need to ask for an exception to STM to use their data in OSM? This is
presumably the same data used in Google (probably through a commercial
agreement).

Fabian Rodriguez
http://openstreetmap.magicfab.ca