[Talk-ca] Wind farm access roads that really shouldn't be in OSM

Gerald A geraldablists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 06:00:37 GMT 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 9:52 PM, Harald Kliems <kliems at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:
>
> > highway=service with access=no or access=private then. Many service roads
> > aren't open to the public.
> >
> > If the road is there and is a service road, it's mappable.
> I'd like to add, though, that there is a problem with verifiability
> here. If you can't access a highway and it's not visible on aerial
> imagery then how can verify it's actually there? And how will we keep
> the data up to date? Therefore I'd be rather cautious with private
> ways for which our only source is an import.

Many/Most roads and paths won't have this issue, as they are either
verifiable from an aerial image or by casual observation.

We have the same verifiability problem in areas that are either remote or
lack OSM mappers -- they may be infrequently updated, if at all, and how do
we know if they are there now?

I'm not a big supporter of imports, but if you are going to use them, you
should use and verify all of them, not just some bits. I'm not sure if
there is a key/tag for "unverified", but it might be worth looking at.

Gerald