[Talk-ca] Routing tool for openstreetmap.ca?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Apr 22 18:14:42 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 1:51 PM, <simon at mungewell.org> wrote:

> > http://map.project-osrm.org/
> >
> > For Canadian data and the rest of the world.  Updates the data twice a
> > day, as I understand it.
>
> So is there a way to 'teach' that better routes?
>
> Blairmore to Calgary was routed through Fort McLeod (257km)... when the
> faster/shorted route is via Highway 22 and 533 across to Nanton (217km).
>
> It might say something about my driving, but that would take a little over
> 2hrs rather than suggested 3hr4. Yes, I average more that 70km/hr...

I'm not familiar with either route, or with your driving style.  :-)

Routers using OSM data will make assumptions where speed limit data in not
available so you might be running into issues where the assumptions don't
match your driving experience on the ground.

In past, I've found that there are connectivity problems in the OSM data,
when routers make suggestions taht I wouldn't expect.  In fact, that was
one of the things we were using the test instance of OSRM for; finding
discontinuities, bad one-ways, and other tagging / mapping errors.