[Talk-ca] Green alleys in Montréal (ruelles vertes)

Guillaume Pratte guillaume at guillaumepratte.net
Sun Aug 18 16:53:52 UTC 2013

Hello Richard,

Thanks for your reply!

You can see alleys as a destination-only road: you can drive through them, but they are definitively not a shortcut, as you need to drive slowly.

It seems that a living street is still a street, i.e. you have the main entrance of houses on the living streets. Green alleys (and alleys in general), at least in Montreal, are service roads between two roads.

For example, take this alley in Montréal:

It is a small, one lane road between the Wolfe and Amherst streets. It separates the buildings of both streets and provide access to local residents' backyard or parking.

I have created a wiki page for a new alley=green_alley tag:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/green_alley

I also posted on tagging:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2013-August/014514.html

Guillaume