[Talk-ca] Licence de données ouvertes, Montréal

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sat Mar 2 20:58:43 UTC 2013

It’s good to see more municipalities opening up their data and open data catching on. Seeing more municipalities writing their own licenses isn’t so good.

Now, on to the more practical questions needed to use the data.

Could you provide a translation of 4.1 and 4.2 of their license? Are these identical to CC BY?

One of the problems with CC BY is the vagueness of the attribution. Some cities regard our attribution as not meeting the CC BY attribution requirements, although I guess that isn’t an issue here because they’ve explicitly said it’s compatible with ODbL, so I have to assume that meeting the ODbL attribution requirements (met by listing on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors) is sufficient for them.

What’s the Import Workgroup you refer to?

Lastly, cadastral data is probably the least exciting type of data for OSM. Other data like roads, addresses and even buildings is more useful.