[Talk-ca] Out of date or incomplete NRCan-CanVec-7.0 data

Tony Toews tony at tonytoews.com
Sun Mar 3 01:38:31 UTC 2013

Folks

I'm just a casual editor who cleans up things I know first hand in a
few small towns and a small city.    So I went to Landmark, Manitoba
and saw an interesting, irregularly shaped out-of-date/incomplete
polygon that was added.  I don't recall seeing it when I last visited
there several months ago but who knows.

Residential Area - Source - NRCan-CanVec-7.0

This appears to display a shaded area on the user viewable map.

The problem is that this is very much out of date or
incomplete.   Furthermore, for that village/hamlet it's mostly
nonsense.   Main street, which is the highway running north/south
through Landmark is the commercial/industrial road through town
although there are houses interspersed among the retail and
commercial buildings and feed mill.   Furthermore the residential
area goes 1.5 blocks west and a few blocks east.  So it might as well
not even exist.

Now judging on my memories of that village/hamlet it is probably at
least ten years out of date.

  Does it serve any useful purpose?   Is it safe to delete that
polygon or will it come back on some re-import in the future.

Tony