[Talk-ca] Licence donnees.gouv.qc.ca

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Mar 15 11:04:34 UTC 2013

2013/3/14 Pierre Béland <pierzenh at yahoo.fr>

> [ ... ] This license is said to be derived from the United Kingdom
> license which is said to be compatible with the ODbL (and thus OSM ).
>
> I would appreciate your comments on this.

All right.  You asked.  :-)

The governments, municipal, provincial and federal, who choose to create or
modify an Open Data license are hurting Open Data.  The first stab wound
was the misguided Vancouver Open Data license and we have not yet stopped
the bleeding.

Modifying an Open Data license is similar to declaring that "in my
municipality, we will use a modification of a standard electrical appliance
plug and socket."  The plug from a Waterloo Region toaster may be
incompatible with an socket in Quebec City in obvious or subtle ways.

Household appliances might move periodically when an owner moves, or when
an appliance is sent as a gift.  Open Data, by definition, is intended to
be combined and compared and moved about, further and more often than a
simple appliance.

We've been clever enough to standardize our appliance plugs across the
continent.  It is important to standardize our Open Data licenses around
the world.

Governments.  Use the Open Data licenses drafted and curated by the Open
Data Commons at the Open Knowledge Foundation.  You (governments) do not
have the mandate from your citizens to spend their money to learn the
things that you need to know about international data law that are required
to draft a rational Open Data license.  To do so in each municipality and
province is a phenomenal waste of resources.  And you don't have the
mandate to consume resources to maintain that license once you draft it.
International data law is new and evolving.  You can't keep up.