[Talk-ca] Licence donnees.gouv.qc.ca

Harald Kliems kliems at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 20:26:17 UTC 2013

Pierre:
Isn't it exactly Richard's point that the fact that they're choosing
their own, non-standard licence means that we OSM contributors won't
be able to answer your question? We -- or at least most of us -- are
mappers, not IP lawyers. So maybe the licence is compatible, maybe
it's not. Without paying a lawyer to find out for us, we won't be able
to tell. It's frustrating, but that's what it is.

 Harald.

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Pierre Béland <pierzenh at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Richard,
>
> I understand that you would prefer that this evolves differently, but lets
> focus on the subject and try to progress in the right direction. This url
> http://www.data.gc.ca/default.asp?lang=En&n=0D3F42BD-1 describe  proposed
> license for the government of Canada Open data site to be effective soon.
> Following discussions with provincial governments some agree if not all to
> use the same license. This is the case of the government of Quebec.
>
> Could OSM contributors help to progress in the right direction and comment
> about the license? After that we will be able to focus on obtaining more
> data.
>
> The questionI ask yout to answer : Is this proposed license compatible or
> not to import data into OSM.
>

> Pierre
>
> ________________________________
> De : Richard Weait <richard at weait.com>
> À : Pierre Béland <pierzenh at yahoo.fr>
> Cc : talk-ca <talk-ca at openstreetmap.org>
> Envoyé le : Vendredi 15 mars 2013 7h04
> Objet : Re: [Talk-ca] Licence donnees.gouv.qc.ca
>
> 2013/3/14 Pierre Béland <pierzenh at yahoo.fr>
>

> [ ... ] This license is said to be derived from the United Kingdom license
> which is said to be compatible with the ODbL (and thus OSM ).
>
> I would appreciate your comments on this.
>

> All right.  You asked.  :-)
>
> The governments, municipal, provincial and federal, who choose to create or
> modify an Open Data license are hurting Open Data.  The first stab wound was
> the misguided Vancouver Open Data license and we have not yet stopped the
> bleeding.
>
> Modifying an Open Data license is similar to declaring that "in my
> municipality, we will use a modification of a standard electrical appliance
> plug and socket."  The plug from a Waterloo Region toaster may be
> incompatible with an socket in Quebec City in obvious or subtle ways.
>
> Household appliances might move periodically when an owner moves, or when an
> appliance is sent as a gift.  Open Data, by definition, is intended to be
> combined and compared and moved about, further and more often than a simple
> appliance.
>
> We've been clever enough to standardize our appliance plugs across the
> continent.  It is important to standardize our Open Data licenses around the
> world.
>
> Governments.  Use the Open Data licenses drafted and curated by the Open
> Data Commons at the Open Knowledge Foundation.  You (governments) do not
> have the mandate from your citizens to spend their money to learn the things
> that you need to know about international data law that are required to
> draft a rational Open Data license.  To do so in each municipality and
> province is a phenomenal waste of resources.  And you don't have the mandate
> to consume resources to maintain that license once you draft it.
> International data law is new and evolving.  You can't keep up.

Please use encrypted communication whenever possible!
Key-ID: 0x34cb93972f186565