[Talk-ca] openstreetmap.ca

Darryl Shpak darryl at shpak.ca
Mon Mar 25 14:33:16 UTC 2013

Good morning everyone,

For the last several years I've owned the domain openstreetmap.ca. Once
upon a time it actually went to a useful website, but for at least a few
years now, the site that the domain points to has been down. I keep
telling myself that I'm going to do something useful with the domain,
but obviously that hasn't happened yet, and frankly, it's not going to.

So: I am just about to renew this domain for another year. I would like
to pass control of the domain over to the Canadian mapping community, to
someone who will do something -- anything! -- with it that will be
beneficial to Canadian users and/or mappers.

I believe in the OSM project, and have been very happy to see how the
project, and the maps in Canada in particular, have grown in the years
since I first joined up. Unfortunately, I don't have time to participate
actively. This is really my last foreseeable contribution to the project
and community.

I don't want to just let the domain lapse, because I'm sure it would be
picked up and squatted immediately. I'd love to hear from one or more
interested mappers who have the energy and ability to do something
interesting with the domain. I know I had this conversation with a few
talk-ca members a few years ago and it went nowhere, but that was
primarily my fault for not following through on my end.

Finally, I'd like to apologize to the community for essentially
squatting on this domain for years when it could have been put to
valuable use. I bought it on a whim, and never really used it. I should
have released it to the community years ago. I feel like I've acted
contrary to the spirit of OSM, and am hoping to correct that by
transferring this domain to someone who will do something beneficial
with it.

- Darryl Shpak
Lapsed Mapper :-)