[Talk-ca] National Railway Network - Réseau ferroviaire national

Matthew Buchanan matthew.ian.buchanan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 22:14:46 UTC 2013

Update on the GeoBase National Railway Network
-- get ready for a lot of links --

The Quebec dataset has been released. Only BC and Alberta still to be
produced.
http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/data/nrwn/index.html

The data is viewable on the GeoBase WMS viewer.
http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/viewer.jsp?group=nrwn

It seems that some of you have been concerned that this updated data would
replace railways already in OSM. That isn't something I would do. The NRWN
would be useful in areas where there was no railway data or it was the
railway data was from CanVec.  I looked around at the state of railway data
in OSM for Canada. Most of the major cities have up to date and complete
information. I looked at Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, and Montreal. On the
other hand, Thunder Bay railway data is from CanVec so it could be a
candidate for replacing with this data.

There is a handy map of railways on ITO that shows the gaps in the OSM
railway data.
http://www.itoworld.com/map/15?lon=-100.58520&lat=52.81867&zoom=5&fullscreen=true&fullscreen=true
GeoBase pages on OpenStreetMap Wiki that need to be updated for this new
layer.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GeoBase_Import
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GeoBase_WMS

I've made a spreadsheet on Google Docs showing how the NRWN attributes can
be related to standard OSM tags.
NRWN_2_OSM -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajc87bM-B1HSdG14VWQya1JBNkNlcGxFRmpKRW41V0E&usp=sharing

-- Matthew Buchanan
-- Kamloops, BC

I couldn't agree more. It is interesting to see also how it can replace the
current network (and by replace, I mean "oh no!!").

In most cities, the railway network has been improved with imagery and
commuter network stations, platforms, routes, etc. We have to be very
careful not to impact the improvements already done on OSM.

Thanks,
Olivier