[Talk-ca] Adding a trail to OSM that is also a road

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Apr 21 03:01:25 UTC 2014

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 10:39 PM, Brian Lang <brilang at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have added part of the Trans Canada Trail between Chilliwack, BC and
> Chilliwack Lake to OSM. I've designated it as Bridleway with foot=yes and
> bicycle=yes. I've also marked it as network=ncn and added incline=x% where
> appropriate. This trail has been added from my own GPS tracks.

Good job.  :-)  Local mapping and checking multiple sources is a good
way to do it.

> I have now come to a stretch of trail that is also a road. How should I add
> the trail to OSM for the section that is the Liumchen Forest Service Road
> where that road is also the Trans Canada Trail? The road is not always open
> to vehicles, but it is at present.

Responding with only general impressions as I have no local knowledge.
 Where a trail shares another bit of infrastructure, like a road, I'd
probably tag the road sections first, in a way that would be expected
for the road.  Then I'd split the way(s) where the trail joins and
leaves the road(s).  I would not change the tagging of the road ways.
I would add the road ways between the trail entry and exit to the
trail route relation.

I find that process to be a simple way to tag the aspects of the way
(surface=asphalt, lanes=2, oneway=yes, etc.) and the aspects of the
route name="Trans Canada Trail", horse=yes, bicycle=yes, etc.

Does that help?

Best regards and happy mapping,

Richard