[Talk-ca] Mappy New Year

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Jan 6 01:08:31 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I hope that you are off to a great start on your mapping activities for 2014.

OpenStreetMap is certainly off to a great start.  User emacsen wrote a
compelling article today that drove a significant number of new
mappers to OpenStreetMap.  That's some great advocacy, right there.
The article is really aimed at folks who are not yet mappers, so not
really the same audience of these lists, as we're already mappers.
but you might enjoy the article anyway.  Have a look.

http://blog.emacsen.net/blog/2014/01/04/why-the-world-needs-openstreetmap/

In 2014 we will see the 10 anniversary / birthday of OpenStreetMap.
What are you going to do to celebrate?  We (the local mappers in
Toronto) will host another OpenStreetMap Mapiversary party, details to
be determined, how about your local group?

On that subject, is this the year that you'll start a local mapping
group in your town?

I've never understood why it is that the German community has groups
of mappers that meet each month, in just about every city, town and
village of size, while in North America those groups are very rare.
It could be that the difference is you.  You can start a successful,
self-sustaining local group that meets each month to discuss
OpenStreetMap.  So you should do that.  It's great fun.

Part of our fun in Toronto in 2013 included, the 9th birthday party,
including a map cake.  Twelve regularly scheduled Mappy Hour events,
two formal presentation events, three special guest events to
celebrate august mappers visiting from other places.  (and a little
bit of a flood, but we soldiered on anyway.)

What about this thread?  Tell me, what your plans are for 2014?

and have a Mappy New Year,

Richard