[Talk-ca] Alberta Park's Data on Protected Areas – Legal or not

Andrew Lester a-lester at shaw.ca
Thu May 15 16:49:06 UTC 2014

I couldn't see a license anywhere on that site other than the copyright notice at the bottom of the page (which very unequivocally states we can't use anything on the website), so I downloaded the dataset to see if there was anything in there. Inside the XML file in the dataset are the following:
"<purpose>Data provided for internal use within Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation (TPR). Within TPR, data for sites designated by Order-in-Council, and data pertaining to Crown Reservations, are managed in the same dataset. For external clients, data are provided as separate shapefiles. (Designated Parks & Protected Areas, vs. Crown Reservations).</purpose>"

and

"<useconst>No constraints within TPR. Data provided to external clients are for their internal use only. Data are not to be redistributed.</useconst>"

Now, IANAL, but those would seem to indicate that we can't use this data in OSM. We could still ask them for explicit permission, though, to see if they'll override the above.

Andrew
alester
Victoria, BC, Canada