[Talk-ca] Large polygons in JOSM

Bruno Remy bremy.qc.ca at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 16:58:36 UTC 2014

Tom's strategy seems to be appropriate for woods areas:

Canvec 'giant monster' multipolygons represents a set of several polygons
quite closed but not adjascent ,  mostly separated by  meadow/scrub or fire
cut-lines or rivers, or roads ....

By the way: membership as 'inside' role of wood multipolygon is useless for
a lake
So, you never need 'outside' or 'inside' role: just keep outlines of wood.

Mapping this way avoid the use of multipoygons, and encourage the use of
simple polygons (prefered).

(imo)

Simplier is better ;)

But .... indeed.. i agree with Sam: is time consuming ! :(
Perhaps a motivation to encourage membership of new OSM contributors, as we
celebrate the 10th of OpenStreetMap !! ;-)

The more we are.. the less we do ;)

Bruno

> Might be dull, but I generally split multipolygons into reasonably-sized
> adjacent chunks rather than giant monsters. In my case, it's usually when
> I'm outlining a river.
>
> Tom Taylor
>
> On 14/09/2014 10:29 PM, Sam Dyck wrote:
>
>> HI
>>
>> Currently I'm working on importing the Canvec tiles that make up Lac
>> Seul in NW Ontario into OSM. Importing the data as it is, split into
>> tiles and subtiles, is poor practice, and manually merging is time
>> consuming and dull. So I began using JOSM's Join Overlapping Areas
>> feature. This tool however requires that all ways be complete before
>> merging. Resulting is a 100 000 node area that far exceeds JOSMs import
>> limit and is time consuming to split up, and slows down JOSM. Is there
>> an faster way to split this?
>>
>> Sam

Bruno Remy