[Talk-ca] GeoBase Import

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Jul 8 10:01:46 UTC 2015

On 7/8/2015 2:40 AM, James wrote:
> Has anyone else had issues with the conversion script from GML to osm?
>
> I've been looking at the wiki here:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Geobase/Import_How-To
>
> and when I try to convert the data python gives me the :
> UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xae in position 2: ordinal not in range(128)
> Which i'm pretty sure is the é character

Sounds like an encoding problem - the code probably needs fixing. The
LANG environment variable might be relevant.

The scripts are mainly a historical curiosity at this point. If someone
wanted to import the data, they'd need to propose a new import, and it'd
probably be easier to write new scripts based on more modern tools than
to use the old ones.