[Talk-ca] Forestry Roads

Steve Roy steve at ssni.ca
Wed Jul 15 23:14:09 UTC 2015

Whenever I have created forestry roads I have used highway=track -
particularly if I know the road is rough and unmaintained.
These are your typical BC forestry roads that are able to be used after
logging is completed in the area and the roads haven't been
de-activated.  I have had people change them to
highway=minor/unclassified after my edits are done and for the most part
I leave them unless I know the road is a rough/4x4 road, the kind you
wouldn't take a Honda Civic on.

However I have been emailing with a person adding forestry roads on
Vancouver Island and they insist on the tag highway=service for their
edits when mapping forestry roads.  These aren't the main A to B
forestry roads, rather smaller gravel roads.

What is the correct tag in Canada?

Thanks
Steve Roy