[Talk-ca] Wiki comment about Bilingual street names in Ottawa

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 20:32:34 UTC 2016

Currently OSMand amongst other rendering systems will display most street
names in Ottawa in either English or French according to the settings in
the software, some street names have only an English entry.

In 2010 a request was made to discuss the issue since the method used
although used in other parts of the world and now implemented in OSMand etc
was not the one that apparently had been arrived at in I assume talk-ca.

I posted my reasons for adding French street names to the map using the
method chosen name:fr but no discussion seems to have taken place.

I assume that six years later and the world is still here that it is time
to remove the warning label in the wiki just before the paragraph that
describes the method used?

To very briefly recap the original method suggested in the wiki was to
combine the English and French names in a single name field.  From a
practical point of view it made it extremely difficult to electronically
search for a name and it was difficult for a person to work in the language
of their choice either English or French.  There were some other issues
which are listed in the discussion.

Thanks John