[Talk-ca] District of North Vancouver: Licence Check

Alan Richards alarobric at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 22:58:22 UTC 2016

>From my understanding, the OGL-Canada is deemed compatible with OBDL, but
the OGL-BC was modified slightly and adds a clause that makes it
potentially incompatible. I haven't seen a clear yes/no answer either way
unfortunately.
I've been looking into this myself recently and I tried to update the wiki
at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Canada:
British_Columbia:Vancouver but I'm running into some bugs with
mediawiki and Captchas not displaying.

Anyway, the OGL for various cities with Open Data in BC seems to be either
copied from OGL-CA or OGL-BC. Depending on the source it may or may not be
compatible. The idea that the OGL has to be forked and could potentially be
different for each jurisdiction is crazy and seems to lead to a lot more
work for the data consumers - a single license within Canada would have
been much simpler.

Alan