[Talk-ca] Highway recoding

Chandler Vancouver chandler.vancouver at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 21:49:05 UTC 2016

Completely agree, Stewart.

Similarly I live just off a road I would consider to be a tertiary level
road. It runs for only 4 km and links up residential side streets, a high
school, an elementary school and a small scale commercial zone. It is only
two lanes wide but for over 50% of its length has a centre boulevard or a
centre dual left turn lane. As well, less than 25% of its length has
residences that off it and none where you can park on the road itself.

Where it meets four main crossroads the intersections are as follows:

Intersection A: full signal with priority given to the crossroad.

Intersection B: a four-way stop.

Intersection C: full signal with priority given to the road in question.

Intersection D: a stop sign with the crossroad given full priority over the
road in question.

In addition there is a walking trail that crosses with a pedestrian
activated signal but with an advanced warning signal as described at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canada:British_Columbia#Highways_and_provincial_roads
under "trunk".

Driving the full length you would know it is a tertiary level route, yet I
can take photographs of the route that could lead you to believe it is a
trunk road.

---

Another example is SW Marine Drive between Camosun Street and the
University of British Columbia -
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/255865854#map=15/49.2428/-123.2196 . It
is designed at the level described for trunk road at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canada:British_Columbia#Highways_and_provincial_roads,
yet the OSM contributors have designated it as secondary highway.

I don't find this a "maddening" as you say, but then I feel we could adopt
a more UK approach to the definition then a infrastructure/design POV.