[Talk-ca] Stat Can and buildings

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 20:22:00 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-15 11:01 AM, john whelan wrote:
> As a first step Stats would like to know the tags used when mapping
> buildings in Canada and the number of times used.  … I looked at a small sample from Ottawa and
> noted 127 different tags on buildings including address tags.

This might be problematic. Just in the building ways in my neighbourhood
(pulled in from Overpass Turbo), there are more than 70 distinct tags/keys:

    addr:city addr:country addr:housename
    addr:housenumber addr:postcode addr:province
    addr:state addr:street alt_name
    amenity atm attribution brand building
    building:colour building:flats building:levels
    building:material canvec:CODE canvec:UUID
    capacity colour cuisine dbox delivery
    denomination dispensing drive_through fax
    FIXME green_roof imax internet_access
    internet_access:fee leisure man_made
    maxheight:drive_thru name note office
    old_name opendata:type opening_hours
    opening_hours:drive_through operator
    payment:amex payment:bitcoin payment:coins
    payment:notes phone power ref religion
    roof:colour self_checkout service shop smoking
    source sport takeaway toilets toilets:access
    toilets:female toilets:male tourism type
    ultraavx vip website wheelchair

* Rather than producing a hierarchy of what the buildings have, wouldn't
it be more useful to say "Here's the building guidelines
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Buildings>; it's aspirational. Can
it work for you?"

* Then there's the whole problem of implied tags through relations. A
building might only have (or need) a street number and name address
tags, but Nominatim can pull out the city, province and country. The
tags are there in OSM, but not obvious from a tag scan.

cheers,
 Stewart