[Talk-ca] City of Ottawa imported buildings & addresses

AJ Ashton aj at ajashton.ca
Mon Oct 17 17:49:42 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016, at 13:37, James wrote:
> Like this one Kevin?
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/2016-July/007034.html
> or this one?
> https://www.mail-archive.com/talk-ca@openstreetmap.org/msg07024.html
>
> or this one?
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/2016-August/007151.html
>
> or this one?
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/2016-August/007068.html
> Tired of googling, but it's the ones I found in a couple of seconds

Those are what I was referring to as not sounding very much like an
import discussion.

"Here is what we would invite Canadians to tell us about
buildings for OSM"

"Statistics Canada initiated a two-year pilot project aimed at
understanding the potential of data crowdsourcing for statistical
purposes."

"We are planning to use OpenStreetMap as a platform for inviting
contributors to crowdsource information on non-residential buildings"

All of this sounds like they were planning one something like an online
mapping party, not an import of government data. Certainly there is no
mention that all existing buildings in Ottawa would be wiped out first.