[Talk-ca] [Import] Local community approval building & addresses in Peel region

James james2432 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 18:40:38 UTC 2016

*Is the Region of Peel licence compatible? I see that it has automatic
termination on breech (like many OGL clones) but it also adds "ensure that
Your Use of the Information does not breach or infringe upon any applicable
laws". This may add usage implications for those downstream.(Some folks
from Peel came to a Toronto Mappy Hour a few years back. They might be
willing to give permission to use the data under an ODbL-compatible
licence.)*
I believe this is compatible as the UK open goverment license is compatible
with it: http://clipol.org/licences/70?tab=licence_compatibility
also in the sense of "ensure that Your Use of the Information does not
breach or infringe upon any applicable laws" I think they mean like that
applies to the data i.e. breaking DRM (which is not applicable in this
case) to obtain data and not so much that you have to uphold the law to
make sure no one commits a crime with the data(like Ottawa)

*How will you be handling overlapping existing buildings?*
Manually through tasking manager, there are scripts that merge most of the
data to simplify the task but a lot of it will be corrected manually.

*Will you be posting these notes to the OSM wiki? It's a requirement of the
guidelines
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines#Step_4_-_Documentation
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines#Step_4_-_Documentation>),
and given the recent visibility than Canada imports have gained, might help
avoid a procedural reversion.*
Yes, there is a reason I put this documentation in .md(mark down), as it is
the same format used by the wiki. So all information that is found on
github will be transferred over to the wiki once local approval is done.