[Talk-ca] [Import] Local community approval building & addresses in Peel region

Stewart Russell scruss at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 18:23:14 UTC 2016

Hi James:

As per the import guide lines I wish to seek approval for importing
> building outlines and addresses in the region of Peel.
>
> Documentation is available here:
> https://github.com/osmottawa/imports/blob/master/Peel-Region.md

Seems like a decent outline, though I have questions:

   1. Is the Region of Peel licence compatible? I see that it has automatic
   termination on breech (like many OGL clones) but it also adds "ensure that
   Your Use of the Information does not breach or infringe upon any applicable
   laws". This may add usage implications for those downstream.
   (Some folks from Peel came to a Toronto Mappy Hour a few years back.
   They might be willing to give permission to use the data under an
   ODbL-compatible licence.)
   2. How will you be handling overlapping existing buildings?
   3. Will you be posting these notes to the OSM wiki? It's a requirement
   of the guidelines (
   https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines#Step_4_-_Documentation),
   and given the recent visibility than Canada imports have gained, might help
   avoid a procedural reversion.

cheers from Portland, OR

 Stewart