[Talk-ca] Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador, Canada Data

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 21:22:47 UTC 2017

On 2017-04-03 01:22 PM, john whelan wrote:
> … At the municipal level the license has been approved by
> OpenStreetMap's legal working group.

This is not the case, unfortunately. This from personal communication
from Simon Poole of the OSM Foundation's legal team from March 2017:

>> [The Ontario and Toronto licences] illustrate why we didn't want to
>> make a blanket statement wrt OGL licence variants in CA and why in
>> general the situation is a bit of a mess.

All individual OGL variants need approval from the legal working group.

So perhaps the OGL licensing route wouldn't be the best route: a lot of
bureaucracy on the Happy Valley-Goose Bay side, and then a several month
wait for the LWG to review. I don't think Anatolijs would want that.

Given the size of the town and the severe budget constraints, you might
have more luck suggesting to the town that allowing the road data to be
imported to OSM would be a real value proposition. There are permission
request letters here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/GettingPermission . The
town's response to that would be an important thing to include in the
import wiki page.

There's a (slim) possibility that the town's data, being derived from
Worldview 2 data, may not able to be licensed under an open licence. Is
there anything in the data agreement between the town and Worldview
regarding data rights?

As long as the town is amenable and the licence isn't horrible, the OSM
import process described here isn't too onerous:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines
There have been several notes to the OSM Imports list¹ from municipal
GIS techs who want to do the same as you, and as long as there's a wiki
page and permission from the town granted, it goes ahead smoothly.

(and even if everything goes sideways, there's a lot you can do with a
vehicle and a GPS that sidesteps licensing completely …)

Really pleased that you want to do this, Anatolijs!

Best Wishes,
 Stewart

---
¹: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports