[Talk-ca] building guidelines for Canada

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 21:11:49 UTC 2017

Hi John - happy new year to all!

> The first is a strip mall with businesses inside.
>
> If the businesses are mapped as nodes then each can have its own name,
> web site, internet_access=wlan etc.

Each unit will also have a unique addr:unit too. In theory Nominatim
should pick up the address from the feature enclosing the node (that is,
the building) but in practice it likely won't. It's not wrong to include
addr:housenumber and addr:street for each node, and I wouldn't say that
this was mapping for the renderer at all.

> Which also raises the issue of building outlines of houses and street
> numbers.  A terrace of houses should be mapped as a building outline
> building=terrace and nodes added for each unit?

Yes, each with addr:housenumber and possibly addr:unit

> Which leads into
> detached building outline and do we add a node for the address etc?

Yes, if you have the information separate from the building. There
doesn't seem to be much consensus —
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses#How_to_map_addresses — so
do the easiest thing your conscience can live with.

> Second the use of commas or ; to separate names of businesses in the
> mall.  I'm personally against this

Yeah; don't do this. We can afford nodes for separate business.

> We don't have many semi-detached houses in Canada and the map features
> suggests these be mapped as house.  If we know these are semi-detached
> is it worth adding in the extra detail?

Hey, as a dedicated dweller of duplex land, there are semi-detached
houses everywhere! I've tagged some of them as one building with two
address nodes, as this matches local municipal address point data
practice. [Not that I've imported municipal address data, he adds
quickly ...]

> An office building that lists 1-16 floors except there is no 13 th floor
> I assume should be mapped as levels=15 not 16.  Do we state this anywhere?

“Simple Indoor Tagging”
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Simple_Indoor_Tagging> suggests
tagging  non_existent_levels=<list>, but I haven't seen that live. You'd
need pretty good internal knowledge to know which were missing. Many
buildings in BC and ON are also missing level 4, 14, etc. Superstition
is a powerful thing ...

cheers,
 Stewart