[Talk-ca] Crowdsourcing buildings with Statistics Canada

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 04:40:19 UTC 2017

On 2017-01-22 12:48 PM, James wrote:

> So why is this not considered the exact same as OGL-CA, which is
> considered compatible with ODBL?

My understanding of why it's not the same:

1) The OGL-CA, due to a fault in its design, can only be used by the
Canadian Federal Government. Contrast that with OGL-UK which is written
as a general licence for any organization in the UK public sector to use.

2) The Ottawa licence has some differences, apart from the information
provider in the definitions:

 - it's missing the introduction completely

 - in excluding personal information, it refers to the Ontario
   Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act,
   rather than the federal Privacy Act. These laws have different scopes

I'd tend to agree with Steve that if permission has been given by the
City, then I can't see any other objection. Paul Norman may have to
chime in with any remaining concerns.

I would ask those who claim that we should accept this because the
Federal government's lawyers and staff say we should: does the Federal
government have the best interests of OSM as a continuing project at
heart? One cannot rely on the opinion of other people's lawyers, because
they have different goals.

 Stewart