[Talk-ca] Crowdsourcing buildings with Statistics Canada

Steve Singer steve at ssinger.info
Mon Jan 23 13:09:24 UTC 2017

On Sun, 22 Jan 2017, Stewart C. Russell wrote:

> On 2017-01-22 12:48 PM, James wrote:
>>
>> So why is this not considered the exact same as OGL-CA, which is
>> considered compatible with ODBL?
>
> My understanding of why it's not the same:
>
> 1) The OGL-CA, due to a fault in its design, can only be used by the
> Canadian Federal Government. Contrast that with OGL-UK which is written
> as a general licence for any organization in the UK public sector to use.
>
> 2) The Ottawa licence has some differences, apart from the information
> provider in the definitions:
>
> - it's missing the introduction completely
>
> - in excluding personal information, it refers to the Ontario
>   Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act,
>   rather than the federal Privacy Act. These laws have different scopes

It isn't obvious to me why any of these changes would make the Ottawa
license incompatible with OSM.

> I'd tend to agree with Steve that if permission has been given by the
> City, then I can't see any other objection. Paul Norman may have to
> chime in with any remaining concerns.
>
> I would ask those who claim that we should accept this because the
> Federal government's lawyers and staff say we should: does the Federal
> government have the best interests of OSM as a continuing project at
> heart? One cannot rely on the opinion of other people's lawyers, because
> they have different goals.

OSM as a project needs to be able to take a clear license and decide if
using data covered from that license is safe to use without having to really
on special permissions. If we decide that that license is incompatible for
reason X and we need special permission then we might decide to get that.

I'm finding it hard to see why the terms of either OGL-CA or the
Ottawa license are incompatible.