[Talk-ca] Mapping of bilingual destination signs

J.P. Kirby webmaster at the506.com
Tue Oct 3 03:03:31 UTC 2017

On 2017-10-02, at 12:22 PM, Martijn van Exel <mvexel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there any NB mappers here? If not we can extract the most active mappers from the data and ask directly. (That is how we usually go about this if we have a local question where nobody from the area seems to be on the national mailing list.)
>
> Martijn van Exel
> skype: mvexel

I live in NB but haven't been involved in tagging these particular signs. While mapping street names, I tend to use "name=x Street" and "name:fr=Rue x" in English-speaking areas of the province, with the opposite in French areas. I see no reason we can't do something similar with destination signs, even if the double-colon may look unwieldy.

After all it is, officially, "Regent Street" in English and "Rue Regent" in French, not "Rue Regent Street" in both.

JPK