[Talk-ca] Preferred phone number format

Matthew Darwin matthew at mdarwin.ca
Mon Feb 5 21:44:46 UTC 2018

After editing a few thousand phone numbers in the last week, my
preferred format is *contact:phone=+#-###-###-####**
*
My reason is that people are starting to use other tags from the
contact:* family so cannot move everything to phone=*, and having both
phone=* and contact:phone=* seems unreasonable.  However, phone-=* is
currently much more popular.

If phone=* is more popular because people keep adding more phone=*
tags simply because it is more popular (self-fulfilling feedback
loop), then maybe moving to contact:phone=* over time might be
reasonable.  If people are using phone=* because of dislike of
contact:phone=* then sticking with status quo is better.  I don't know
why people use phone=* vs contact:phone=*....

Thoughts/opinions welcome.

[I used "phone" in above discussion, however it equally applies to "fax"].